Activities included at Mnemba Island
The warm waters of the Indian Ocean are perfect for swimming and snorkelling. Beautiful swimming beaches are readily accessible and guests can cavort in the waves regardless of high or low tide.
- An astounding array of reef fish and other underwater marvels occur on the reefs surrounding the island, and a number of magnificent dive sites are easily reached from Mnemba. Our resident dive instructors are on hand to guide guests to the best sites and two dives per day are included provided that guests have valid dive certification. A wide choice of diving courses is offered at an extra charge, providing the ideal opportunity to learn to dive for the first time.
- For those wanting to take it easy, snorkelling around the island offers our guests a memorable experience, with boats and snorkelling guides available to take guests to more remote reefs. Both snorkelling and scuba diving equipment are provided at no extra cost. More than 430 species of reef fish have been recorded on the Mnemba reef, a mere two minute swim from the beach. Bottlenose dolphins frequent these waters year round and guests have the opportunity to interact with these magnificent creatures either from the boat or in the water.
- Something remarkably special to experience is to see, firsthand, green turtles laying their eggs on this idyllic private island. Green turtle nesting season is year-round with a seasonal peak in February and March and something truly wonderful to witness. In September and October tiny turtle hatchlings can be spotted making their way down to the water.
- The ocean depths around Mnemba are a fisherman’s paradise, with game fish species such as barracuda, tuna, mackerel, kingfish, sailfish and marlin frequently encountered. Fly-fishing enthusiasts can fish directly off the island’s beaches, while deep sea fishing can be arranged at an extra cost. Mnemba follows a policy of catch and release.
- From those wanting a little more exercise, kayaking and windsurfing off Mnemba’s white coral beaches are both available for guests.
- Spice Island tours on Zanzibar can be organised from the Island and massage treatments are available at an additional cost.