Activities included at Sossusvlei Desert Reserve
Sossusvlei Desert Lodge offers a choice of adventures aimed at delighting and informing guests about the surrounding desert.
- Twice-daily nature drives - track down unique desert-adapted wildlife in open vehicles, accompanied by an expert guide. Admire the fascinating and varied terrain, and learn more about the desert fauna and flora. Explore the mysterious fairy circles, where vegetation refuses to grow, and find out how the desert oryx can live without drinking water. Enjoy chance encounters with the likes of zebra, cheetah, kudu, baboon, steenbok and the elusive leopard too.
- Dune walks - guests are free to explore the areas surrounding the Lodge on foot. Experience the tranquillity of the desert and marvel at the exceptional plant life, such as the quiver tree, with its attractive yellow flowers. Guided dune walks introduce guests to life below the sands, where many small animals spend the day in cooler burrows. Expeditions to the nearby San caves to view cave paintings can be arranged.
- Quad biking trails - explore the desert on already established trails on a quad bike. These exciting expeditions, headed by an expert guide who ensures that the drives are sensitive to the delicate environment, add a thrill of adrenalin to desert exploration.
- Gaze at the stars - each evening resident astronomers give a fascinating presentation on the stars and constellations in the southern African sky at our specially designed observatory, complete with powerful telescope.
- Picnic excursions - guided tours of the famous Sossusvlei sand dunes and the fascinating Sesriem Canyon, as well as other places of interest in the area, can be arranged at an additional cost.
- Dune Drives - explore the sandy dunes where chance encounters with an ostrich or the magnificent gemsbok can be experienced. Vist the magnificent scenery of the petrified dunes, stopping to admire the beautiful desert sunset.
- Scenic Drives - enjoy the massive boulders of Bushman's Koppies, an ideal spot for exploration.