Leopards, Winelands and Rock Paintings
10 Days / 9 Nights
Start anticipating your African adventure with a short summary of what you can expect each day on safari to bring.
This adventure begins at OR Tambo International Airport and ends at Cape Town International Airport.
DAY 1 - 3: SABI SAND GAME RESERVE
On arrival at OR Tambo International Airport you and your family will be warmly welcomed by a member of the &Beyond team, who will direct you onto a light aircraft flight to &Beyond Kirkman’s Kamp in the Sabi Sand Reserve.
A visit to the Sabi Sand Game Reserve guarantees a not to be forgotten experience of the African bush. With the fences between it and the neighbouring Kruger National Park, animals wander across vast stretches of land as in years gone by. With one of the richest game populations in the country, the chances of seeing the Big Five are excellent, The Reserve is also home to a host of other animals to fascinate both young and old alike.
Relax for three nights in two air conditioned cottages with private verandas in the colonial atmosphere of historic Kirkman’s Kamp, ideal for the whole family. Your stay includes three meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees, emergency medical evacuation insurance and laundry. Lodge adventures includes twice daily game drives, including spotlit night drives, as well as interpretive bush walks. The stimulating children's programme includes exciting activities such as bark rubbing, bug collection, scavenger hunts and many more.
Specialist Safaris available at an additional price include walking adventures, private safaris and photographic safaris.
Other fantastic activities on offer for children include:
- Cupcake decorating or a game of bush tennis
- A children’s bush banquet
- Spending an afternoon learning how to do beautiful Shangaan beadwork or branding your very own T-Shirt.
- A ladies tea party or boys camouflage party in the bush.
- Shangaan folktale stories around the camp fire - you will be spellbound.
Your stay includes three meals, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees, scheduled safari activities, refreshments on game drives, Nature Walks (1 hour) accompanied by experienced armed trackers and laundry.
Day 4 - 6: Cape Town, Western Cape
You will be driven to Kruger Mpumalanga Airport, where you will board a flight to Cape Town International Airport. Upon arrival you will be met and driven to the Mount Nelson Hotel.
With Table Mountain at its heart and two oceans at its feet, the city of Cape Town lies spread between spectacular mountains and sandy beaches. Vibrant, cosmopolitan and an eclectic mix of old and new, this laid-back city is as much at home with its 17th century castle as it is with its skyscrapers and trendy malls. It is also home to South Africa's first mosque, its oldest wine farm, a 350-year-old garden and timelessly beautiful beaches.
Linger for three nights at the Mount Nelson Hotel. Your stay includes accommodation, breakfast, luxury chauffeur driven transfers within a 10 km radius of the hotel, complimentary internet access, suitcase unpacking services on request, bottled water on turndown, gymnasium with 24 hour access and state of the art facilities, use of sauna, steam room and plunge pool at Librisa Spa, secure under cover parking on site, local newspapers and condensed version of New York Times on request.
Day 4 Activities
- Take a horse-drawn carriage trip along the historic streets of Cape Town, enjoying the sights of the planetarium, Company Gardens and the Castle of Good Hope while sipping on one of the best milkshakes in town.
- Get kitted out with a wetsuit and snorkelling hear and spend the afternoon in the water, frolicking with Cape Fur Seals - don’t forget you camera for plenty of unforgettable shots!
- Catch the Hop-on, Hop-off Bus to the Dodge City Diner, where you can tuck into the best burgers and homemade Italian gelato in town.
Day 5 Activities
- Head into the dunes to master the basics of sand boarding (or bum boarding for the very little ones) under the African sky and then set off on an off-road quad bike adventure (younger children can travel safely on the back of a parent’s bike). The trail twists and winds through sand and bush, offering climbs, descents, technical sections and flat out straights.
- Slow down the pace as adults enjoy a scenic walk and children ride a donkey through the vineyards of the Polkadraai Hills, enjoying a lunch complete with fine wines and grape juice.
- Catch the cable car up Table Mountain and watch the sunset as you spread out a gourmet picnic basket.
Day 6 Activities
- Travel to Langa Township for a talk on African cuisine and culture, followed by a hands-on cooking experience at a small cookery school OR stroll down a bright and colourful Bo-Kaap lane and be welcomed into a local home to participate in the preparation of a traditional lunch.
- Unleash your creative side with a session of art jamming and create your favourite African art work as you let your imagination run wild with a set of paint brushes.
- Get into the rhythm with a drumming session - choose from West African djembe and bass drumming, Zulu drumming, fusion drumming or precision drumming, or try them all!
Day 7 - 9: Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve, Cedarberg
A scenic helicopter flight will take you to Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve and Retreat.
In the heart of the breathtaking beauty of the Cederberg Mountains lies the tranquil retreat of Bushmans Kloof. A sanctuary for endangered species of fauna and flora and the site of San Bushman rock paintings, Bushmans Kloof delights with the perfect combination of elegant luxury and natural wilderness. Graceful lawns, beautiful gardens full of indigenous plants and flowing water features form the setting for the gracious and elegant Manor House, with its luxury suites and private courtyards.
Enjoy three nights in the ecological oasis of Bushman’s Kloof. Your stay includes accommodation at Koro Lodge on an exclusive use basis, all meals, welcome drink, all local beverages, complimentary wi-fi, laundry service and valet. Bushmans Kloof offers family adventures that cater for all ages.
- Try your hand at archery or the genteel pastime of croquet on the lawns or even mountain biking.
- Follow in the Footsteps of the San on a journey into the life of the oldest civilisations.
- Become a hunter gatherer / Bushman for the day and discover the caves, rock art sites, bushmen paintings and leave your own ancient message in a rock
- Take your fynbos specie cuttings found in the reserve cuttings and incorporate them in a personalised spa treatment or they can be used in the specially prepared fynbos dinner that awaits you at the end of your day.
- Wish Upon a Star and discover the exhilaration of an after-dinner drive through the reserve under a canopy of darkness, illuminated by a multitude of stars. Enjoy exceptional stargazing and spot nocturnal animals like the elusive Aardwolf, African Wildcat, Bat Eared Fox, Cape Fox and Porcupine - A definite must.
- Try your luck at the art of Fly fishing or paddle the clam water of the dam on a canoe.
Day 10: Departure
Take a scenic helicopter flight to Cape Town International Airport where your adventure with us will end.