The Waterberg is an area rich in both natural resources and beauty. Nestled within the Limpopo Province, The Waterberg was declared a biosphere reserve by UNESCO in 1999. Consisting of alluringly beautiful natural landscapes, a fascinating cultural heritage, an array of nature based tourism opportunities and an abundance of fascinating wildlife species within several game reserves and parks, The Waterberg is situated between two distinct biospheres - middleveld grasslands and sourveld in the east and the Kalahati thornveld in the west. Protected by massive buttresses and deep forested valleys, the Waterberg is a remotely beautiful place of splendour tucked away within the south and west of the Limpopo Province.
Home to a wide variety of wildlife and birds, this extensive biosphere, combined with game and nature reserves, conserve an area spanning 14 500 square kilometers of mountain terrain. Steeped in a fascinating history as well an array of spectacular game and bird species, the Waterberg has been described as “South Africa’s best kept secret”. Home to an array of bird species, The Waterberg also offers fantastic wildlife sightings of elephant, rhino, leopard, buffalo and lion.
- Waterberg Biosphere Reserve, the first to be registered in Southern Africa
- The hot springs - a natural phenomena
- Nyslvley Wetlands, a birder’s paradise with more than 400 species
- Discover one of the most notable archaeologically significant heritage sites at Makapans Valley
- The world’s largest colony of endangered Cape vultures at Mabula and Mabalingwe Game Reserves
- Excellent fishing opportunities at Mokolo Dam at Lephalale
- Incredible scenery whilst hiking at Mookgophong
From R 9,000
Named after the Tibetan word meaning ‘paradise on earth’, Shambala is a picturesque retreat within the spectacular Shambala Private Game Reserve. Enjoy incredibly beautiful views of the Waterberg mountain range and 12,000 hectares of pristine natural wilderness in utter peace and tranquillity.
Indulge in an intimate safari experience at the alluring Shambala Private Game Reserve in the Waterberg and in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve in Mpumalanga. Enjoy an exclusive experience in beautiful Cape Town with a stay at the Cape Grace Hotel.
Interactive Trip Finder
Our interactive trip finder will make it easy for you to select the right kind of safari for you.